General description: Handmade doll dressed in the rich clothing of 16th century Polish/Hungarian/Lithuanian aristocracy.
Dimensions 27 x 17 x 12 cm
Date when acquired Ca. 2004
Original Date Unknown
Source Flea market in Göttingen
Papier maché hands and head. Arms, legs and body appear to be padding over wire. His features and beard are painted on. His hair is hidden under his hat.
He is standing on a round wooden base, to which he is fixed by wire staples.
His high-crowned brimless black felt hat is typical of the Hungarian-style papakha or astrakhan hat. It has narrow feathers attached to the left side and a badge made of a metal oblong surrounded gathered red material (like the buttoning on his coat).
His full-length red coat (żupan) is made of a thick red woollen material. It has a large brown fur collar lying on his shoulders, This coat has long sleeves down to the hem of the coat but his arms are inserted through armholes at the level of the shoulder so that the rich red and black brocade sleeves of his knee-length jacket are freely visible. The żupan is lined with black cotton, which is used to hem the front panels of the coat from the lower hem to the waist. There are five buttons on the coat, three still have the gathered red material around three sides (the other two have lost this decoration); however the coat is not meant to be closed at the front. The żupan is the typical male attire from the beginning of the 16th to the first half of the 18th century and was worn by almost all males of the noble social class in the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. This type of coat still survives as a part of the Polish and Ukrainian national costume.
His high necked red & black brocade jacket has a high neck with a stand-up collar. The jacket is closed to the waist and then is open at the front of its skirts. The long sleeves are broad around the upper arms running down to narrow cuffs. The cuffs and collar of a white cotton shirt can be seen poking out from under the jacket.
His tight trousers are more like leggings and his painted white boots are modelled from papier maché.
Stephan Batory’s full title on his coronation (1576) was King of Poland and Grand Duke of Lithuania, Duke of Ruthenia, Prussia, Masovia, Samogitia, Kiev Land, Volhynia, Podlachia and Livonia, as well as Prince of Transylvania.
He was born September 27, 1533, in Somlyo, Transylvania, to the local branch of the ancient noble Bathory family, now extinct, but originally almost contemporary with the Hungarian monarchy. He became King of Poland through his marriage with Anna Jagiellonka, the sole heir to the Crown of Poland. He also at the same time became ruler of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, the largest and one of the most populous states in Europe in the 16th century. He was buried in Krakow’s Wawel Cathedral, Saint Mary’s Crypt in 1588.
Source(s) of information